EOS is considered the competent body in Egypt responsible for granting quality and conformity marks as well as conformity certificates for industrial commodities and products according to the Egyptian and foreign standards .The General Department for Quality is considered the consulting department for establishments, industrial companies, bodies in the fields of industrial quality control and quality assurance and environmental management systems.
The main tasks of EOS in respect of quality are determinated according to the decree of establishing EOS as follows;
- Providing the appropriate means to achieve the conformity of raw materials, industrial commodities and products to the approved standards including conducting technical researches and studies, controlling and technical inspection, drawing samples and testing them, evaluating the testing results and issuing conformity certificates for the approved standards and the required marks..
- Granting quality marks for the local industrial products to be conformed to Egyptian standards.
- EOS is Egypt's communication and enquiry point concerned with providing and exchanging information related to conformity assessment procedures on the national, regional and international levels..
- Providing technical consultations for industrial establishments, companies and bodies in the fields of industrial quality control, quality assurance and environmental management systems..
- Verifying the accuracy of measurement and testing instruments used in industrial units in all sectors..
-Training technicians in concerned bodies on the relevant quality and standards activities, as well as holding relevant local and international conferences..
- Representing Egypt in the international and regional organizations concerned with standards, following up their activities and coordinating quality activities in Egypt with their corresponding bodies abroad..
- Issuing periodicals and brochures concerned with EOS activities in the field of quality control.
The General Department for Quality undertakes the following activities: :
- Conducting periodical inspection on products Licensed for quality mark..
- Inspecting products applying for quality mark Licence..
- Inspecting products applying for conformity certificates..
- Inspecting safety and security products in the field of engineering industries to obtain conformity mark..
- Inspecting products applying for their prototype adoption for designing a new engineering product..
- Inspecting the required technical studies for licensing boilers.
- Inspecting trucks.
- Evaluating the reports of (engineering-chemical-food products-textile) labs submitted to the department..
- Providing technical consultancy for companies and organizations.