The unit of energy efficiency consumption
A Unit established to activate the Ministerial Decree No. 171 / 2011 (to oblige producers and importers putting energy
consumption labels on electrical appliances and light bulbs for home use and oblige them to submit these labels to EOS to
review data and verify the level of energy consumption before putting them on the market.
The role of EOS through the unit :
- putting the design and instruction concerned with fixing energy efficiency consumption labels .
- Issuing conformity certificate of energyefficiency consumption label and granting the permission for fixing them
- organizing workshops for all manufacturers and importers ,supervisory bodies and the relevant ministries in order to raise
awareness of the importance of applying energy efficiency standards and the role of the EOS in verifying the data of energy
The Unit aims to:
1. Organizing the Egyptian market and putting norms and mechanisms for the trading of household appliances and lamps for
2. Raising awareness for the consumer to choose the least energy-consuming device through comparing the energy efficiency
consumption labels affixed to the appliances.
3. Encourage manufacturers to improve product designs and components in order to improve the energy efficiency of the
product, leading to increased competitiveness for national products in foreign markets.
4. Raise awareness of the importance of energyefficiency consumption to the consumer and factory which contributes to
energy rationalization in Egypt.
5. Contributing controlling of domestic production and imported products and the fight against fraud.
6. Reducing greenhouse gas emissions through using devices and energy-saving lamps with higher-level of energy efficiency
Thetasks of the unit:
1. Verifying the energy efficiency labels of electric appliances and household lamps for home use.
2. Verification of the power consumption of electric household appliances and lamps pre-market.
3. Granting conformity certificate for the energy efficiencyconsumption label for electric household appliances and lamps.
4. Giving the permission for fixing energy efficiencyconsumption label.
5. Registratingthe bodies and the accredited laboratories granting conformity certificates or test reports for energy
efficiencyconsumptionof electric appliances and household lamps home use (complete data and activity).
6- Registration of (producers and importers) bodies obtaining the efficiency of energy consumption label conformity
certificates (complete data and activity).
7. preparing Database for the bodies and companies obtaining permission tofix the energy efficiency label.
8. preparing Database for bodies and companies- that have been refused / suspended to obtain the permission - to fix the
energy efficiency label .
9. providing assistance and technical consultation required to all the parties concerned in this field.
10. responding to government and non-governmental agencies when querying any of the establishments or agencies or
companies contained in paragraph (7.6).
11. Registering all complaints, disputes and corrective procedures. it also takes appropriate procedures to resolve such
complaints with the documentation of the taken procedures.
A practical guide on applying the energy management system (United Nations Industrial Development Organization):
Energy Management System Tools
Practical Guide on applying the energy management system (sample project plan)
Head of Unit: m. Najwa Hamid