The General Department for Standards and the General Department for Measurements are concerned with developing
Egyptian standards through their technical staff in collaboration with the specialized technical committees, undertake the
technical secretariat of these committees, conduct the relevant technical studies and follow-up the required laboratory
experiments to develop the draft standards as well. These concerned committees comprise specialists from different
industrial, scientific and supervisory activities as well as consumers according to various industrial and supervisory sectors as
- 45 committees in the field of engineering industries.
- 33 committees in the field of chemical industries.
- 29 committees in the field of food industries.
- 11 committees in the field of textile industries.
- 21 committees in the field of measurements( mechanical, physical, electrical).
- 7 standards committees in the fields of (communications and information – medical equipment- safety and security systems.
- Documentation committee.
- Using Arabic language committee in computers.
B- General committees:
- 5 general committees for engineering, food products, textile, measurements and chemical sectors.
C- International mirror committees:
-The international mirror committee ISO/TC 176 concerned with Quality Management Systems.
-The international mirror committee ISO/TC 207 concerned with Environmental Management Systems.
CODEX Alimentarius Commission in the field of food industries:
- The International Egyptian Committee for Consumer Protection Affairs.
- The international mirror Committee for sustainable procurement.
- The ISO CASCO Committee.
- The international mirror committee for Bribery combating..
The tasks of the general technical committees
First : an Egyptian draft standard is being developed by the technical committees formed at EOS.
These committees should takeinto.
consideration the following:
To ensure neutrality and achieving consensus when developing a standard, the formation of committees should be balanced so
as to comprise members from the most important concerned bodies such as: labs –supervision bodies – producing bodies –
consuming bodies –researching bodies – universities –consumers)and any other sectors that are concerned with standards,
The tasks of the committee are represented in studying the draft standard, discussing the received comments on this draft after
circulation, providing comments on the problems that faces standards application as well as providing comments on the annua
l plan for standards' development..
Second : Types of Egyptian Standards
issued for the first time.
most of its items have been amended and the year of its publication is amended by keeping its previous number..
some of its items have been amended and the date of publication and its own number are not amended and the partial
amendment is notified and attached to the original copy.
a standard which has been revised without any change and its number is not changed, but the date of publication is changed.
a standard which has been withdrawn and the standard replacing it, is notified, if any.
Adopted in its original language:
an international standard adopted in its original language without any change.